2012 was an amazing year full of various events. There are some years when nothing happens and the year just slips away to be forgotten. 2012 was not one of these years. From love to tragedy, we've seen everything in 2012. Our country has grown tremendously over the year 2012 through these 12 breathtaking moments, which we will never forget.
- NHL Lockout - As of September 15th, the NHL began a lockout still in effect through the entire year.
- NFL Replacement Referees - With the most controversial call in the history of the NFL, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers on September 24th, 2012 with a Hail Mary touchdown pass at the last seconds of the game.
- Gangnam Style - On December 21st, 2012, this Korean pop star made internet history by becoming the first video to ever hit 1 billion views. Although this music video is somewhat serious in his native country South Korea, the United States has made countless parodies to complement the most popular video in the world.
- The Duchess is Pregnant - The couple is everywhere in the headlines as Kate carries the new Queen or King of England.
- The Mayan Apocalypse - December 21st, 2012 was supposed to be the end of the world, although no one knew how it would end. That didn't stop hundreds of thousands of people from preparing for doomsday in many different and unique ways.
- 2012 London Olympics - Although the Olympics were filled with memorable moments, one photo became one of the most popular pictures on the internet almost overnight. The Olympics were amazing, but with social media as huge as it is in 2012, specific images, memes, and tweets were the life of the London party.
- Mars Curiosity Rover - On August 6th, 2012, the United States of America sent the rover Curiosity to Mars to explore all of our 'curiosities'.
- Aurora, Colorado Shooting - The deadliest shooting in Colorado since Columbine, 12 people died and 58 others were injured on July 20th, 2012 in Aurora, Colorado during a midnight screening of The Dark Knight Rises.
- President Obama Re-Election - On November 7th, 2012, President Barack Obama celebrated his presidential re-lection with his wife, as shown in this photo. This photo along with the tweet "Four more years" quickly became the most popular post in Twitter history.
- Red Bull Stratosphere Jump - Austrian Felix Baumgartner broke multiple world records by 'space diving' from the Earth's stratosphere in October 2012, a project sponsored by Red Bull, and seen by hundreds of millions of people worldwide.
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting - A 20 year old named Adam Lanza shot and killed 20 children and 6 school staff members mid-December 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut. The shooting became the second deadliest school shooting in the history of the United States, only behind the Virginia Tech massacre in 2007 where 32 people were killed.
- Hurricane Sandy - During late October, Hurricane Sandy devoured the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and parts of the Caribbean. With the damage tolls to be in the billions, the storm left millions of people without power in the dangerously cold weather, thousands homeless and dozens dead.