Picture it now, you're sitting there enjoying your new, sleek and absolutely flawless cell phone, on a bright Christmas Day, trying to find cool apps and new games to load and customize your new gadget. Well, for me, that is exactly what happens every two years because of the perfect timing mobile companies have with those two year contracts. Contract renewal? Yes please. Phone upgrades? Yes please. Now, once you open your socks, cards, sweater, yearly ornament from grandma, and a few of those gift cards, you look at the clock and notice that it's not even noon. At first you're excited that you actually woke up real early on a holiday, but then you realize you have another 12 hours of the day and not a damn thing to do. Yes, the family wants to sit around and perhaps bicker at one another simply because they feel the need to fit the stereotype of typical American families, but you, you want to go do something. You don't know what to do, but you just know that you want to get out of the house. You know that saying that you want what you can't get? It's true. Holidays mean that everything is closed and with the realization that you have all this time on your hands you need to do something with, you start pondering ideas of what to do on Christmas Day. Maybe you're hungry or just bored, but here's a list of places to go on Christmas day, with or without the family.
Sources: TriplePundit, Hahajk, FunMeme, QuickMeme & MemeGenerator
- Dunkin Donuts
When I went to school in New York for a year, I went to Dunkin Donuts way too often. Not for their donuts. Not for their coffee. I went there for the donut holes. I don't know why, but I felt as if they had donut holes that could cure cancer. I heard they have fabulous coffee too, but I've never tried it. In fact, Dunkin Donuts actually applied to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to claim rights to one of their legendary slogans, "Best Coffee in America." Too bad the bid was dismissed and was said to be "nothing more than a claim of superiority." I guess the office doesn't enjoy Dunkin coffee. Actually, the U.S. Patent Office is in Alexandria, Virginia, which is also home to two coffee shops who are rated on the Zagat. (It means they're pretty much amazing)
I just researched some interesting things about Starbucks, and it's incredible to see some of these things. You've seen the Hollywood movies set in year 2044 with Carl's Jr. placed everywhere as if it was basically taking over the world. Well, that's Starbucks for you. If you want some coffee on Christmas, and you don't have a Dunkin Donuts in your area, then I'm pretty sure you have a Starbucks. Here's a few interesting facts:
1. Starbucks has added an average of two stores on a daily basis since 1987
2. The brand is so well recognized all over the world it doesn't even put its name on its cups anymore
3. There are over 87,000 possible drink combinations at Starbuck
4. At $300 million, Starbucks spends more on healthcare insurance for its employees than on coffee beans
5. A Starbucks Grande coffee has 320 milligrams of caffeine, over four times the amount of caffeine in a Red Bull
- Movie Theaters
I'm a fan of going to the movies on Christmas; I enjoy the social atmosphere with or without the family. No, I wouldn't go see a movie alone on Christmas Day, which is probably the most depressing day you can go there alone, but I may see a movie with a friend or two. By this time, it's around 2:00pm and every other friend you have is trying to figure out what to do that day as well. Invite them to a movie, and my God, if you see someone at the movies alone, invite them to sit with you! You won't.
- IHOP & Denny's
If you want to grab some pancakes at the International House of Pancakes or good ol' Denny's, then head on over and make sure you tip the crap out of the waiters and waitresses that have to serve you on Christmas Day. I've bartended and served enough to know what crap they have to deal with, but common, it would really suck to work at Denny's on Christmas day. Well, on the contrary, Christmas may be a very good day to make 'bank'. I would suspect that Christmas Day would be optional for the employees to work, knowing that its good money to work, but it's also good to be with family. Here are some comparisons I feel that are correct:
Better Pancakes: IHOP
Better Career: Denny's
Better Prices: Denny's
Better Food in General: IHOP
Better Atmosphere: IHOP
Better Service: Denny's
Better All-Around: IHOP
- Buca di Beppo
I've actually never been here but know it's open on Christmas. I keep hearing amazing things about it and after researching it some, here are 4 things you need to know when going:
1. The portions are huge, come hungry, willing to share or knowing you'll take some home.
2. Call ahead and ask for 'the best seat in the house',they will sit you back around the kitchen where you watch the chef make the food.
3. There are usually coupons you can find online for $10 off, so make sure you look some up before you go.
4. According to a review by Sarah A. in Houston, Texas, Buca di Beppo is "600 times better than Johnny Crap Carinos and ughhhh, Olive Garden, those places being called Italian is an embarrassment to Italy."
I don't have much to say about these two but it's the place to go when you need those essential grocery items and medicine. Knowing that most groceries aren't open on Christmas Day, you can usually rely on CVS or Walgreens to be open. Need some eggnog or some medicine for your cold? I'll see you at CVS or Walgreens!
Now I'm not sure about other convenience stores, but I do know that 7-Eleven will be open. If you're traveling during the holidays, you can check out 7-Eleven, grab a soda and some gas and continue on your adventure. Seeing that Starbucks adds two stores daily, 7-Eleven adds a store EVERY TWO HOURS. That's incredible if you ask me. Knowing that approximately 25 percent of the United States population lives within one mile of a 7-Eleven store, you shouldn't have much trouble finding one! Here are a couple more facts about arguably the greatest convenience store in America.
1. Of all U.S. retailers, 7-Eleven sells the most: USA Today newspapers, cold beer, cold single-serve bottled water, cold Gatorade, fresh-grilled hot dogs and money orders.
2. Eleven sells more than 2,300 fresh sandwiches per hour.
3. July 11 (7/11) is the official birthday of the 7-Eleven convenience store chain. The company celebrates its 85th birthday this year.